Festival statutes and rules
INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF ANIMATED FILMS ANIFILM, MAY 22ND - 27TH 2021, LIBEREC, CZECH REPUBLIC
- The aim of the International Festival of Animated Films ANIFILM is to present the best from the field of animation from all around the world. The festival also aims to preserve and help develop the cultural heritage of Czech animated film, contribute to creation of new Czech films and provide ground for potential international co-productions. The festival’s accompanying programme supports education in the field of animated film. With its wide and varied programme Anifilm is changing the stereotypical perception of animated film as a mere entertainment for children.
- Anifilm is organized and promoted by OSPAF (Občanské sdružení pro podporu animovaného filmu, z.s.), company address: Hradešínská 6, 101 00 Praha 10, Czech Republic; e-mail: email@example.com, website: www.anifilm.cz.
- Anifilm 2021 will take place in Liberec from 22nd to 27th June 2021.
- The competition programme of Anifilm consists of the following categories:
International Competition of Feature Films
For films longer than 60 minutes. Jury gives awards to film for chidren and film for grown-ups.
International Competition of Short Films
This competition section presents several blocks of animated short films made by professionals (out of schools). A short film is not longer than 59 minutes.
International Competition of Student Films
The films can be submitted by schools or students themselves.
International Competition of Music Videos
International Competition of Abstract and Non-narrative Animation
Unconfined audio-visual works using the principles of animation in the widest extent possible.
International Competition of VR Films
Films designed for virtual reality - animated 360° videos.
International Competition of Computer Games
Jury gives awards for game for children and visual art.
- National competition is called Czech Horizon and is divided into five categories:
Short and Feature Films
- Only works completed after January 1st 2020 can enter the competition. Works selected for the competition will be assessed by the festival selection committee. Each submitter who submitted their work is subsequently informed about the result.
- All films in the competition are screened in their original language and must be provided with English subtitles by the party submitting the film (with the exception of English-spoken works and music videos).
- Costs of the transportation of the film prints from the country of origin to the festival and the costs of travel insurance are covered by the participant, if not arranged otherwise. The costs of insurance against loss and partial damage or complete destruction of the screening copy for the period starting on the day when the festival receives the copy and ending when the festival hands the copy over to the carrier are covered by the festival. In case of loss or destruction of the copy during the festival the festival is responsible only for the cost of the data media. All complaints concerning the technical condition of the returned screening copy must be registered with the festival within one month after receiving the copy.
- Films in competition cannot be withdrawn from the festival once their screening has been officially confirmed.
- The international jury consists of distinguished representatives of culture, film production and theory; and of film reviewers, filmmakers, game industry professionals and producers. A special international jury will be assembled for each of the competition sections. A person who has taken part in the production of any of the films in the given competition cannot become a member of the jury. All the members of the jury are bound by secrecy. The Festival Director and the Programme Director or their deputies may attend the jury sessions, but do not take part in the voting.
- The jurors give out the following awards:
a) The Award for the Best Feature Film for Grown-Ups comes with a financial prize of 1000 EUR.
b) The Award for the Best Feature Film for Children comes with a financial prize of 1000 EUR.
c) The Award for the Best Short Film comes with a financial prize of 1000 EUR.
d) The Award for the Best Student Film comes with a financial prize of 1000 EUR.
e) The Award for the Best Abstract and Non-narrative Animation comes with a financial prize of 1000 EUR.
f) The Award for the Best Music Video comes with a financial prize of 500 EUR.
g) The Award for the Best VR Film comes with a financial prize of 500 EUR
h) The Award for the Best Visual Art in Game
i) The Award for the Best Game for Children
The jury can also award one Special mention in categories Short Film, Student Film, Abstract and Non-narrative Animation, Music Video.
The financial prize is to be equally shared by the director and the producer of the awarded film and will be sent via a bank transfer not later than two months from the end of the festival.
- Winners of the Czech Horizon categories are decided by Council of Animated Film (RAF), whose creation was initiated by Anifilm in 2017 with the support of the Association of Czech Animation Film (ASAF) and the European Animation Awards Association (EEA). RAF consists of Czech authors, directors, producers, animators, dramaturges, animation theorists, historians, critics, film pedagogues and representatives of showcases and festivals. RAF selects the winners in an online vote before the festival.
- By submitting works to the Czech Horizon competition the submitter gives RAF their approval with nomination of the Czech Horizon winners for European Animation Awards.
- Works selected for the Czech Horizon competition (except music videos, TV and commissioned works) are provided to National Film Archive (Národní filmový archiv) for archiving.
- During the Opening Ceremony awards in the Czech Horizon categories are announced. In accordance with RAF's decisions Anifilm gives out the following awards:
- a) The Award for the Best Czech Creation
b) The Award for the Best Czech Short and Feature Film
c) The Award for the Best Czech Student Film
d) The Award for the Best Czech TV/On-line Series
e) The Award for the Best Czech Music Video
f) The Award for the Best Czech Commissioned Work
- Authors of selected works will receive official invitation including information about accommodation provided by the festival. They are welcomed to attend the Closing Ceremony where the International Competition results are announced.
- In ambiguous or unclear situations and cases unforeseen by the statutes, the director of the International Festival of Animated Films Anifilm is to take the corresponding decision. The organizer reserves the right to change these statutes in exceptionally serious cases.
- By submitting the work, the submitter grants consent to one screening within the framework of the "Awarded Films" of the year's Anifilm edition, which takes place within 14 days after the festival in cinema in Prague.
- Due to the ever-changing situation around the covid-19 pandemic the festival reserves the right to screen the competition programme online via its secure platform aniont.com. By submitting the work to the festival the submitter agrees to provide the festival with their work in the case that the festival screenings cannot take place on site as planned.
- By submitting their work, the submitting party declares that they are authorized to screen the work at the festival and all rights including rights to music used in the work have been cleared.
- By participating in the festival you accept these statutes.
The competition is announced on 1st of September 2020, the application submission deadline is set on 31st of December 2020 and is governed by the Festival statutes and the Competition rules. The work is accepted into the competition on condition that:
- It was completed after January 1st 2020.
- More than 50% of the film is an animation; the animation technology used in the film is not restricted.
- The submitted work did not take part in the Anifilm festival competition in the preceding years.
- One work can be submitted to one competition category (except Czech creations which can compete simultaneously in national competition Czech Horizon and international competition).
- The works for the competition are selected by a selection committee, see Statute 6).
- Delivery of the film screener for the selection committee:
a) By providing a download link via the submission form on https://vp.eventival.com/anifilm/2021
For the proper efficiency of selection committee please make sure your video is downloadable. Please note that as a result of complication in the selection process films provided on stream links (without possibility of download) might not be considered.
b) By sending it on a medium (USB / hard drive) by 31st December 2020 at the latest - for the postal address please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Options of the computer game delivery:
By providing a promo code for download from digital distribution (Steam, Apple App Store, Google Play,…), no later than December 31st 2020 to email@example.com.
- Film screener for the selection committee - format specifications:
HD video file (or similar resolution)
- maximum data stream 6000 kB/s
- stereo sound or 5.1
- Submitters of the selected works will be informed during February 2021 and requested to complete materials for the catalogue (photo, credits etc.). The list of selected works will be announced subsequently by the end of February 2021 and published on the festival website www.anifilm.cz.
- The final festival version of the selected film must be in the following formats:
- DCP (preferred format), minimum data stream 6000 kB/s, stereo sound or 5.1 (other formats will be converted)
- FULL HD video file (or similar resolution) / minimum data stream 6000 kB/s, stereo sound or 5.1
- 35 mm copy
The submitter is also requested to provide a back-up FULL HD video file, minimum data stream 6000 kB/s, STEREO SOUND.
- Delivery of the screening copy to the festival
a) By sending a link to download the file to firstname.lastname@example.org
b) By sending it on a medium (USB, hard drive, 35 mm print) by post - for the address please write to: email@example.com.
- The screening copies of the selected films must be delivered to the festival by 31st March 2021 at the latest. This deadline must be respected in all cases. The participant is bound to comply with the screening copy transportation instructions.